Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Cheap and Easy Advent

I seem to always remember that I need to make an advent calendar for my family around the middle of November. I knew I would not get around to it again this year, so I decided to go another direction.

I saw these little gift boxes at the Dollar Store (in the wedding section) and started thinking. I bought 2 pkgs. of little boxes (12 in each), 2 tubes of baubles (12 in each and in 2 colors, one for each kid - to avoid fighting. Well until Bubby thinks he needs to help too.) and the tinsel rope. So, I spent $5 on supplies. I had glue, ornament hooks, and Christmas scrapbook paper (one had a Christmas countdown on it, and I always wondered what I was going to do with it), in my supplies.

I spent a few hours one evening, cutting gluing, and folding the boxes together. I think it was very easy, fairly cheap and the kids are super excited.
So, what kind of things do you put in your advent calendars?

Let the countdown begin!!!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Soooo adorable! Now, is this something that can keep well in storage or is it just a one-year thing? So cute!! :)

Mariam said...

The boxes can be collapsed after you take them down. They come flat and you put it together. So, I guess it depends on how well you stick them together. I just put a small bit of tape on the bottom, and it came off easily and the box folded back up.